BMW Motorrad Club Central, BMW Motorrad Club Jacaranda, BMW Motorcycle Club Pretoria and BMW Motorrad West Rand Club will play host to the one day Gauteng BMW GS Trophy 2019 Regional Qualifier.
South Africa has a proud history with GS riding and the GS Trophy roots can be found 15 years ago… this tradition will continue in 2019:
- One-day Regional qualifiers will take place from February to April, where individual riders will compete to be selected to be the best in their region – the top 3 to continue to the national events.
- Female riders can take part in the regional events – from which the best will be selected to participate in the national event.
- The national GS Trophy 2019 will be held in September 2019, at a venue to be confirmed, where riders from around the country will gather to enjoy the GS lifestyle.
- At this event, the regional winners will compete as teams and as individuals, for the title of GS Trophy Regional Champions and to be selected for the South African team and International.
- Female team respectively to attend the 2020 International GS Trophy.
CHANGES FROM 2018
- Will take place on different days in different regions, not all on the same day.
- Multiple parties have been included in the organising of these, including BMW dealers, BMW Clubs, Sabie Valley Rider Academy, Country Trax and the Rider Trainers from around the country.
- These organisers have full responsibility for the event and the aim is for all parties to work together.
- Venues have been selected to make the events more spectator friendly – this may include other activities as well as food and drinks.
- One National event will be held for both team and individual honours. This is being done to optimise time and costs for the participants, as well as provide more spectator support at the event.
- An independent adjudication panel has been asked to oversee the events – this will include coordination, judging and the exercises. This will be done in conjunction with the local event organisers.
FORMAT OF THE EVENT:
- Participants will be tested on riding skill and technique, based on intermediate to advanced level off road riding courses.
- Skills tests are based on the International GS Trophy qualifying rules and regulations.
- Tests will include the display of riding skill and technique, navigation, fitness, mental capability, mechanical skill and teamwork.
- Spectators are welcome.
CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
- Any person over 18 years of age who holds a valid driving license and is in general good health can participate in the event.
- Owning a racing license excludes the participant from competing due to amateur nature of the event.
- Riding instructors are excluded from participation.
- Only SA residents and residents from neighbouring countries, Namibia, Swaziland, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique can qualify for the National qualifier for individuals.
- Other nationalities can participate but will not be in the ranking.
- A participant can take part in any of the events and is not restricted to a home region.
- The top 3 riders of each region and selected female riders commit to attend the GS Trophy SA event to compete for their regional team.
- Participation in the National Qualifier for individual riders is optional.
- If a rider participates in multiple events the final scoring will be the average of individual event scoring.
- Only vehicles in a technically working condition, with correctly operating exhaust systems will be allowed in the event.
- Vehicles must be registered and roadworthy.
- The rider must be a GS owner and take part with their own bike. Should the bike be out of action or unavailable at the time of the event, the rider may, with prior permission, use a borrowed bike.
- Only GS models with a capacity of 650cc or more can be used, excluding X-Challenge models.
MANDATORY EQUIPMENT OF EACH PARTICIPANT INCLUDES:
- Appropriate helmet, gloves, boots, protective clothing for extreme off-road conditions. These must be worn always.
FEES AND COST:
- A fee for the event will be charged to cover the costs of the event.
- Full fee is payable at the time of registration.
- Cancellation more than 14 days prior to the event – 10% of payment will be forfeited. Thereafter no refunds will be done.
- Participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements and accommodation bookings, and the costs associated therewith.
- All events are run as not-for-profit.
- Excess funds will be used for supporting the winning riders at the national events. This is done at the discretion of the regional event organisers.
- Enter and participate in the regional qualifiers, where the first round of selection will take place.
- Skills, attitude and spirit will determine future participation in qualifying and selection events towards the International GS Trophy 2020 Ladies teams.
- The winning Regional Team of the GS Trophy SA 2018 automatically received an entry to the 2019 GS Trophy National Qualifier and are therefore excluded from participation in the regional qualifiers in 2019.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
- Rider safety and enjoyment are of prime concern while taking part in the GS Trophy Qualifiers.
- Respect and discipline must be maintained at all times – respect yourself, other participants, and staff at the event.
- The GS Trophy Qualifier organising team reserves the right to withdraw riders from the event who exhibit dangerous behaviour that risks the safety of other event participants and staff.
- Participants may not use intoxicants during the event.
- Any damage caused to property or equipment as a result of unruly behaviour according to the organisers will be charged to the participant.
- All photos and videos taken during the event are the property of GS Trophy Qualifier team, and the participant agrees to such photos being distributed and published at the sole discretion of the organisers.
RISK AND LIABILITIES:
- Participants take part in the event at their own risk.
- The event organisers shall not be liable for any damage caused in the course of the event by the participants or third parties.
- The organisers do not accept responsibility for the condition of the motorcycle and accessories before or after the event.
- It is understood that by registering, the participant has read the rules and agrees to observe them.
- Riders who have represented SA in a previous International GS Trophy may not participate.
- Previous Team SA members are encouraged to attend and share their experience.
The following individuals are not entitled to take part in the International GS Trophy 2020 and events in the run-up:
- Staff members of BMW AG and BMW SA.
- Proprietors and employees of a BMW dealership.
- Instructors and tour guides who do work for BMW Motorrad and their dealers.
- Holders of any motorcycle racing licence.
- Previous off-road training is highly recommended for successful participation.
- Attendance of locally organised practice sessions is encouraged.
- Sponsorship for riders is encouraged, especially from BMW dealers and other partners.
ENTER HERE and secure your place at the start line!
I understand that any form of motorcycling is potentially dangerous and that participation in and/or presence at the motorcycling or associated event as arranged by the GS Trophy organisers is potentially dangerous.