If you’re looking for the sharpest motorcycle to give you the biggest thrill, you have to look no further than the 2022 KTM 450 SMR.
It’s those three letters at the end that give the game away. SMR, as all red-blooded motorcyclists will know, means the Supermoto version of KTM’s fire-breathing 450 Motocross bike. Long a segment benchmark, the 450 SMR now moves closer to the KTM racing family with its orange frame, blue seat and new racing graphics. But, of course, that is all on the surface: it’s what happens under the skin that matters the most. And it really is all happening under the skin!
The championship-winning engine from KTM’s Supercross and Motocross machines has been modified for Supermoto use. It’s an incredible piece of engineering, weighing just 27 kg but producing a barn-storming 63bhp! This drives through a Pankl Racing Systems 5-speed gearbox that benefits from a sensor that permits a specific engine map for each gear.
Keeping all this in check is a chromium molybdenum steel frame optimised for torsion and flex characteristics, suspended by WP XACT suspension. Running on 16.5 in/17 in. super light Alpina tubeless spoked wheels and Bridgestone slick tyres, this is a chassis designed to thrill and allow you to wring the last possible tenths of a second from your lap time. Brembo brakes front and rear perform braking duties.
The 2022 KTM 450 SMR might be the most extreme motorcycle you’ll ever ride but it will also be the most capable and controlled. Available at your local KTM dealer from September 2021.
2022 KTM 450 SMR – HIGHLIGHTS:
- Ultra-light Chromoly steel frame with new finishing coated in racing orange
- Upgraded aesthetics with racing graphics and factory blue seat
- Advanced four-stroke 450cc powerplant with 63 hp at 27 kg
- WP Suspension XACT AER 48 mm forks & XACT rear shock
- PANKL Racing Systems 5-speed gearbox & SUTER anti-hopper clutch
- Brembo 4-piston radial caliper, 310 mm floating front disc & 220mm rear
- Supermoto 16.5″/17″ ALPINA light wheels & Bridgestone slick tires